INOCEM was established in 2003 with the objective to support and promote high quality research, training and outreach in oceanography, marine and maritime studies and related management programs through postgraduate education, education, research and effective programs that addressing marine issues in Malaysia. INOCEM is entrusted to become a center of excellence in IIUM specializing in research, development and commercialization of ocean and coastal resources.
INOCEM has emerged as a venue pursuing excellence in demand-driven education, research and synthesis and dissemination of knowledge across a wide range of these subjects in regional, national and international contexts. INOCEM provide vibrant learning environment that is so conducive to scholarly achievements.
The establishment of this institute leads to the training and creating pool of experts who are well-versed in sustainability. Comprehensive sustainability management demands the development of science and applications towards sustainable development. Cooperation in research and joint facilitation of programmes were prominent in INOCEM.
- Be a globally recognized centre of excellence that provides knowledge and disseminate information through scientific research for marine science and marine affairs
- To assign scholarly researchers in need-based areas of marine science and maritime studies
- To provide globally recognized high-quality education, hands-on experience and training in marine science and maritime studies
- To propagate knowledge and facilitate its application to scientific, social and economic problems related to marine science maritime studies
- To enhance research and development in marine science and its related environment
- To create knowledge workers in the field or marine science and maritime studies
- To disseminate knowledge and information on ocean and coastal resources, climate change adaptation, marine biodiversity and conservation, marine pollution and sustainable commercial fisheries and aquaculture.
HEAD OF INSTITUTE
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Normawaty
Email : email@example.com
Muhammad Khairulanwar Bin Rosli
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Rozie Syahirah Roslan
Email : email@example.com
Khairunnisak Binti Mohamed Ali
Assistant Administrative Officer
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Nur Aisyah Binti Sa’amah
Email : email@example.com
HEAD OF INSTITUTE
Asst. Prof. Dr. Mohd Fuad Miskon
Ph.D. in Bioscience (IIUM)
MSc in Marine Pollution (UMT)
Rare Earth Element Analysis
Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Fitri Yusof
Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Zahir Ramli
Dr. Akbar John
INOCEM's Researcher Project
• Marine Debris Monitoring – Dr. Zahir Ramli
• Microplastics Monitoring on Biota and Sediment – Dr. Fuad Miskon
• Horseshoe Crab Conservation Biology and Genetics – Dr. Akbar John
• Patin Buah Triploid Project - Dr. Fitri Yusof
INOCEM's Associate Member Project
• Coral Reef Study in Kuantan Waters - Prof. Dr. Shahbudin Saad
• Hydrodynamic of Cherok Paloh Waters – Dr. Zaini Mustapa /Dr. Zuhairi Ahmad/Dr. Asnor Azrin Sabuti
• Auto Device for Demand & Feeding of Seabass – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yukinori Mukai
• Population Dynamics in Fish Larvae – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mustafizur Rahman
• Harmful Algal Bloom – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Normawaty
• Anadara sp. Potential Breeding Ground – Dr. Aimimuliani Adam
• Kuala Pahang fish diversity – Prof. Dr. Ahmed Jalal Khan
Let's Join Us!
INOCEM welcomes researcher to join us in achieving the aspiration of the institute to perform an integrated research for the natural resources to be sustainably exploited for the future.
We are looking forward for collaboration, contract, extension and consultation research activities from other research institutions and industry community.
Research Publications 2018
- Fuad, M.M., Kamaruzzaman, B.Y., Aiman, M. A. Heavy Metal Study in Mangrove Sediment of Kuantan River Estuary, Pahang. In: Normawaty Mohammad Noor, Zaleha Kassim, Mohd Fuad Miskon, Ahmed Jalal Khan Chowdhury, Aimimuliani Adam, Nur Nazifah Mansor, Mohd Zaini Mustapa, eds. (2018) Coastal ecology of Pahang water (South China Sea). IIUM Press. ISBN 978-967-418-704-0
- Kamaruzzaman Yunus, Fikriah Faudzi, Mohd Fuad Miskon, Mokhlesur Rahman (2018). Seasonal Influences on the Levels of Particulate Cd, Cr and Pb in Kuantan River, Pahang. Oriental Journal of Chemistry. 34(2).
- Ramli, M. Z. (2018). THE HYDRODYNAMIC COEFFICIENTS FOR OSCILLATING 2D RECTANGULAR BOX USING WEAKLY COMPRESSIBLE SMOOTHED PARTICLE HYDRODYNAMICS (WCSPH) METHOD. IIUM Engineering Journal, 19(2), 172-181.
- Ramli, M. Z., Temarel, P., & Tan, M. (2018). Hydrodynamic coefficients for a 3-D uniform flexible barge using weakly compressible smoothed particle hydrodynamics. Journal of Marine Science and Application, 17(3), 330-340.
- Kudus Kadharsha, Syed Ajmal Khan, Somasundharanair Lyla, Ponnuvel Mohanchander, Akbar John. 2018. Checklist for commercially important food fishes of Parangipettai, southeast coast of India. Journal CleanWAS. 1(1): 16-19.
- Jawahar Ali, A., Jamal Mohamed, A., Arun Kumar, M.S., Akbar John, B. 2018. Organophosphorus pesticides toxicity on brine shrimp, Artemia. Journal CleanWAS. 1(1): 23-26.
- John, B.A., Nelson, B.R, Hasan I. Sheikh, SG Cheung, Yusli Wardiatno, Bisnu Prasad Dash, Keiji Tsuchiya, Yumiko Iwasaki., Siddhartha Pati. 2018. A review on Fisheries and Conservation Status of Asian Horseshoe Crabs. Biodiversity and Conservation. 29 (14): 3573-3598. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-018-1633-8 .WOS/SCOPUS Cited.
- John, B.A., Nelson, B.R, Hasan I. Sheikh, SG Cheung, Yusli Wardiatno, Bisnu Prasad Dash, Keiji Tsuchiya, Yumiko Iwasaki., Siddhartha Pati. 2018. Correction to: A review on Fisheries and Conservation Status of Asian Horseshoe Crabs. Biodiversity and Conservation. 29 (14): 3845. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-018-1650-7 .WOS/SCOPUS Cited.
- Akbar John, B., Hassan, I. Sheikh, Ibrahim Shogar., Abdurrezak, A.H., Kamaruzzaman, B.Y., Jalal, K.C.A., Ailin Razali. (2018). Ethical Issues on using Invertebrates in Environmental and Biomedical Practices – A Case Study on Living Fossil Horseshoe Crab. International Medical Research Journal Malaysia. 17(special issue 2): 281-285. SCOPUS Cited.
- Jalal, K.C.A., Akbar John, B., Nasrin, D., Razzak, N., Suhaila, O., Nazifa, M. 2018.The Ethical Significance of Antibiotic Resistance towards Aquaculture Practices. International Medical Research Journal Malaysia. 17(special issue 2): 295-301. SCOPUS Cited.
- Akbar John, B., Muhamad Asrul, M.A., Wahidah Mohd Arshaad, Jalal, K.C.A. Hassan I. Sheikh. (2018). DNA Barcoding of Rays from the South China Sea. In ‘DNA Barcoding and molecular phylogeny’ edited by Subrata Trivedi, Hasibur Rehman, Shalini Saggu, Chellasamy Panneerselvam Sankar Kumar Ghosh. Springer publisher. Pp 229-244.
- Akbar John, B., Hassan I. Sheikh, Jalal, K.C.A., Kamaruzzaman, B.Y., Sanower, H., Nur Hanisah, M., Rahman, M.H., Rozihan, M. (2018). DNA barcoding of Ichthyoplankton and juvenile fishes of a tropical river in Malaysia. In ‘DNA Barcoding and molecular phylogeny’ edited by Subrata Trivedi, Hasibur Rehman, Shalini Saggu, Chellasamy Panneerselvam Sankar Kumar Ghosh. Springer publisher.pp. 367-381.
- MohammadMustafizur Rahman, Mohd Haikal Izzuddin, Najmus Sakib Khan, Akbar John, Mohd Azrul Naim. DNA Barcoding and Molecular Phylogeny of Indigenous Bacteria in Fishes from a Tropical Tidal River in Malaysia. In ‘DNA Barcoding and molecular phylogeny’ edited by Subrata Trivedi, Hasibur Rehman, Shalini Saggu, Chellasamy Panneerselvam Sankar Kumar Ghosh. Springer publisher.pp 351-366.
- Asnor Azrin Sabuti, Mohd Fuad Miskon, Nik Hani Shahira Nik Shirajuddin, Nur Sakinah Abdul Razak, Zaleha Kassim. Sediment Quality Assessments in Relation to Socio-Economic Development in Kampung Tekek, Tioman Island, Pahang During Survey in August 2015. In: International Conference of Analytical Sciences 2018 (SKAM31), 17th - 19th August 2018, Kuantan, Pahang.
- Fikriah Faudzi, Kamaruzzaman Yunus, Mohd Fuad Miskon, Asnor Azrin Sabuti, Azman Azid. Seasonal Influences on The Levels of Particulate Metals in Kuantan River, East Coast Malaysia Using Principal Component Analysis. In: International Conference of Analytical Sciences 2018 (SKA31), 17th - 19th August 2018, Kuantan, Pahang.
- Mohd Fuad Miskon, Muhammad Farhan Kammoo, Siti Nabila Mat Ali And Nik Nurizni Nik Ali. Distribution Pattern of Rare Earth Elements in Soft Tissue of Saccostrea Cucullata in Terengganu And East Johor Coastal Waters. In: Tropical Ocean and Marine Sciences International Symposium (TOMSY 2018), 30th – 31st October 2018, UMT, Kuala Terengganu.
- Mohd Fuad Miskon, Muhammad Farhan Kammoo, Siti Nabila Mat Ali, Nik Nurizni Nik Ali. Accumulation Pattern of Rare Earth Elements in Soft Tissue of Saccostrea Cucullata In East Johor Coastal Waters: Future Prospects. In: Rural Entrepreneurship Development for Poverty Eradication (REDPE 2018), 26th - 27th November 2018, Kota Bharu, Kelantan.
- Ramli, Muhammad Zahir. (2018) In: YEIS International Forum 2018, 18th – 20th December 2018, Yokohama National University, Japan.
- Amirul Syafiq Hamsan, Zaini Mustapa and Ramli, Muhammad Zahir. (2018) Beach morphology and sand characteristic at selected recreational beaches along northern region Pahang coastline. In: Tropical Ocean and Marine Sciences International Symposium (TOMSY 2018), 30th – 31st October 2018, UMT, Kuala Terengganu.
- Ramli, Muhammad Zahir, Temarel, P. and Tan, M. (2018) Hydroelastic and Hydrodynamic analysis of a uniform rigid and flexible barge using weakly compressible smoothed particle hydrodynamics (WCSPH). In: International Research Innovation, Invention & Solution Exposition (IRIISE 2018), 14th – 16th August 2018, Kuala Lumpur.
- Akbar John, B. Kamaruzzaman, B.Y., Zuraidah, M.A. (2018). Metal accumulation in coastal sediment of peninsular malaysia – A review. International Conference on Clean Water Air and Soil (CleanWAS-2018). 10th – 12th Aug- 2018. Aston Denpasar hotel& Convention Centre, Bali, Indonesia.
- Akbar John, B., Hassan I. Sheikh, Kamaruzzaman, B.Y., Jalal, K.C.A. 2018. Amebocyte profiling of captive and wild horseshoe crabs (Tachypleus gigas). International fisheries symposium (IFS 2018). 18-21st Nov 2018. Hansa JB hotel, Hatyai, Songkhla Thailand. P40.
- Nor Syuhaida, I., Rozihan,M., Akbar John, B., Akmal,M.S., Esa, Y.B. 2018. Genetic Variability of horseshoe crabs, Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda (Latreille, 1802) from west coast of peninsular malaysia based on mitochondrial COI gene sequences. International fisheries symposium (IFS 2018). 18-21st Nov 2018. Hansa JB hotel, Hatyai, Songkhla Thailand. P180.
- Muhammad Rozaimi Mohd Zaki., Bryan Raveen Nelson., Poh Seng Chee., Akbar John., Ahmed Jalal Khan Chowdhury. 2018. Nemipterus peronii metal retention and lifestyle associations as food security impacts in Tenengganu. International fisheries symposium (IFS 2018). 18-21st Nov 2018. Hansa JB hotel, Hatyai, Songkhla Thailand. P217.
Research Projects (Ongoing)
- P-RIGS18-032-0032 - Comparison of Biological Aspects of Torpedo Scad (Megalaspis cordyla) from the East and the West Coastal Water of Peninsular Malaysia
- FRGS/1/2018/WAB05/UMT/02/2- Modelling the mechanisms of coastal erosion and morphodynamic changes under the influence of monsoon and coastal defense structures at Kuala Nerus, Terengganu (Malaysia).
- FRGS/1/2017/UIAM/02/1-Field measurements and numerical approach of rip current hazards at the selected recreational beaches along Pahang coastline.
- FRGS19-021-0629 DNA Barcoding and Molecular Phylogenetics of Sharks in Malaysia
- RPDF18-004-0004 INVENTORY ON THE SPECIES COMPOSITION AND EXISTING METAL CONCENTRATION IN KUANTAN RIVER
- RPDF18-003-0003 Environmental Determinants Influencing Fish Community Structure and Seasonal Diversity IN TROPICAL ESTUARY, KUALA PAHANG, MALAYSIA
- International Research Innovation, Invention & Solution Exposition (IRIISE 2018) (14th-16th Aug 2018): Silver medal. Paper entitled “Hydroelastic and hydrodynamic analysis of a uniform rigid and and flexible barge using weakly compressible smoothed particle hydrodynamics (WCSPH)”.
- MALAYSIA TECHNOLOGY EXPO (MTE) 2018 – PWTC (22nd-24th Feb 2018): Bronze medal. Paper entitled “AlmoPro an Effective Antimicrobial for Captive Aquaculture”.
- Best Oral Presenter Award. Paper entitled “Metal accumulation in coastal sediments of Malaysia- A review. In (CLEAN-WAS 2018). 10-12th August 2018. Aston Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.
Full list of facilities and instruments:
To access the facilities at INOCEM, fill in the respective forms and email us;
Institute of Oceanography and Maritime Studies (INOCEM)
Kg Cherok Paloh 26160, Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org