IIUM IBBC (Institutional Biosafety and Biosecurity Committee) is responsible to oversee research and teaching that deals with Living Modified Organism (LMO), infectious and potentially infectious agent/materials and biological toxins. It is formed with the objective of protecting human particularly IIUM community and the environment from the harm of activities related to the biological agents. It is also formed partly because of following the government requirement to adhere to the Biosafety Act 2007, Biosafety (Approval and Notification) Regulation 2010 and other related regulations. IIUM IBBC was registered with National Biosafety Board (NBB) on 9th September 2015.
The IBBC members are appointed by the Rector of IIUM and currently under the purview of Deputy Rector (Responsible Research and Innovation) Office. The functions of IIUM IBBC include but are not limited to the following:
- providing guidance for safe use of biotechnology
- monitoring activities dealing with biotechnology
- establishing and monitoring the implementation of policies and procedures for the purpose of handling LMO, infectious and potentially infectious agent materials and biological toxins
- determining the classes of Biosafety Levels (BSL) for contained use activity for the purpose of biotechnology research and development undertaken within a facility where the IBBC is established.
IBBC Preliminary Assessment Form : Downloadable Forms (iium.edu.my)
For any enquiries, you can contact KOS IBBC Associaciate Members
– Sr. Che Nor Zarida Che Seman
– Assoc Prof. Dr. Zarina Zainuddin